Monday, June 30, 2008

What's for dinner, side dish: squash casserole

In honor of the upcoming 4th of July holiday, I thought I would throw in a few recipes this week that you might want to consider for the weekend.

So, you are going to a backyard BBQ and asked to bring a side dish? Let's face it, there will be ten others there with baked beans and potato salad and no one really eats that jello thing that your grandma taught you to make. So do everyone a favor and bring some yummy squash casserole. Now, if you aren't from the south you may never had the pleasure of the squash casserole. Even my little brother who wouldn't touch a veggie until he was 16, ate this. I've won cookoffs with this recipe. It's probably the most requested recipe I make. You really want to try this recipe.

This is the south, and it is a casserole, so there will be large amounts of butter involved and it won't be low fat, low cal, blah, blah, blah. But there are veggies in there so it can't be all bad. Besides, you won't be eating the whole dish yourself (not at one sitting anyway), so it's ok. The calories and the love get spread.

Time:
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 red onion, diced
  • 1 large carrot, grated
  • 2 lbs yellow squash, sliced (I save myself time and just buy two bags presliced and frozen)
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 8oz. container sour cream
  • 1 8oz package Herb stuffing mix (recommend Pepperidge farm)
  • 1 stick of butter

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350
  • Cook squash, drain if necessary (I just cook it in a saute pan with water and season salt, sometimes a little butter. I cook it until it is mushy and begins to fall apart. )
  • In a 9x13 pan, mix together soup, sour cream, onion, carrot. Add in cooked squash.
  • In a medium bowl, melt the stick of butter. Use a fork and mix in the stuffing mix.
  • Mix in 2/3 of the stuffing mix to the 9x13 pan with the squash and soup mixture.
  • Even out the squash mixture, add the remaining 1/3 of the stuffing mix evenly on the top.
  • Bake in 350 oven for 30 minutes.

If I get around to making it this week I'll come back and add some pictures.

10 comments:

Steph said...

We have company coming for the holiday weekend, I MUST try this recipe out on them! I'll tell my mom it's healthy since it includes veggies. Hopefully she'll buy it!

Jen said...

This sounds so yummy. I can't wait to try it. I think it will be my contribution to this year's 4th of July picnic.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I have my grandmother's squash casserole recipe. But I obviously don't do it right. I think she left out a few steps in what she wrote down! I am going to have to adopt yours instead...

Janet said...

Mmmm, this sounds really yummy. I am excited to try out his recipe. I will be back later to copy it down! I am going to take it to our family lunch for July 4th.

Michelle said...

Is there something wrong with me that, as I'm looking over the recipe and see 1 stick of butter, my reaction is "That's not that much butter." Honestly, I was expecting at least two sticks. At LEAST :)

Heather said...

I LOVE love love squash casserole. Your recipe sounds delicious.

Joanna said...

Bridget - Perfect timing for my week of all new foods challenge. I had forgotten that my husband didn't have golf this week, so I have an extra day to plan for. This might just end up on the menu...well, minus the onions.

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Sounds soooo good! I am definitely going to try that this weekend. My husbands grandfather is coming over and his favorite chef is Paula Deen, so that will be right up his alley! THANK YOU!

LauraC said...

I made this for a BBQ over the weekend and it was a huge hit! Thanks for the recipe. We belong to a organic vegetable CSA and are always looking for something new to do with squash.

Anonymous said...

I have given this recipe to many people since we had Thanksgiving at your house several years ago!! This week I gave to to my school bus driver and the other 2 assistants that ride with me on the bus....they all made it this week and my bus driver (a woman) said her family asked for it AGAIN for this weekend!!Twice in one week! :-) It's the BEST!!
Love you more...xoxo