Tuesday, July 29, 2008

What's for dinner, Sloppy Joe Pie


I can remember being a kid and seeing my Mom standing at the stove, browning a pound of ground beef. I'd ask her, "What's for dinner?" Her response was usually, "I don't know yet." It boggled my mind how she'd already be cooking when she didn't know what dinner was to be. However, her method started like many of us, one pound of ground beef. From there, she may have decided to do one of several things, usually fairly predictable and somewhat boring (sorry Mom!). Today, I often find myself with the same base as my mom: one pound of ground beef or turkey or ground sausage. I'm always trying to find another use for the ground meat for days when things need to be quick and simple.

Let me be the first to admit, this recipe is still no gourmet affair. But it is a few big steps up from Hamburger Helper. This is simple, kid friendly comfort food at it's easiest. When your are standing at the fridge with the door open and needing something a little different to do with the pound of ground beef staring you down, this is it. This will prevent a revolt should you be tempted to reach for one more box of Hamburger Helper. This is so quick and easy and has so few ingredients, you may even add this to your regular rotation of meals.

Time
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:
* 1 lb ground beef or turkey
* 1 cup frozen onion, or one fresh onion diced
* 1.5 cups frozen corn, or one can of canned corn
* 1 can Mamwich or 1 bottle of BBQ sauce (whatever you have on hand will work
* 1 can refrigerated biscuits
* 1.5 cups grated Cheddar cheese

Directions:
* Preheat oven to 350 (if the directions on your can of biscuits tell you differently, go with the biscuit directions)
* Brown the ground beef, cook the onion with it, drain
* Add your corn (it's ok if it is still frozen, you don't want to cook the corn with the beef and onion because it will lose its crunch)
* Add your can of mamwich or BBQ sauce, stir everything together
* In a pie pan, use your biscuits to create a soft of crust by smooshing them out and pressing them together, something like this
* Add your hamburger mixture to the pie pan, smooth it down (go ahead and load it in there, make it all fit, even if it is bulging a little high at the middle)
* Top with your cheddar cheese
* Put the pie pan on a cookie sheet in case something bubbles over
* Cook in the oven for about 15 minutes (just follow the oven temp and cooking time for your biscuits)
* When the cheese is melted and the biscuits look done, pull out and let cool (the longer you let it cool the more it will "set up." If you try to serve it too early it will fall apart when you dish it out)
* Cut like a pie and serve

13 comments:

Deanna said...

You should submit this to Blessedwithgrace.blogspot.com She does a "Tempt Your Tummy Tuesday" recipe. This would be great for that!!

YUMMY!

Jen said...

Hamburger/Tuna Helper are my old stand by. You come up with the best stuff, another one that I will try. How do you come up with this stuff? Whatever you do, keep it up. You are making my job a lot easier.

Aly said...

I'll have to try this soon! Sounds yummy.

Michelle said...

I love this recipe. This is totally going to make it into the next round of supper swapping! Totally rocks!

Joanna said...

Perfect timing! I have 1 pound of ground beef thawing in the frige for dinner tonight! I will be picking up biscuits on the way home. (I still have BBQ sauce from the cuban wraps.)

From the Doghouse said...

Wow, that sounds really good! We're definitely gonna have to try this.

Elisa @ Globetrotting in Heels said...

That actually sounds pretty good to me. But then, lots of stuff sounds good to me when I am PMSing. Or actually, MSing. Pass some over, will ya?

Lynda said...

Mmm... that looks really good. Found you via SITS - now I have an easy recipe! Thank you :-)

Kelly Deneen Raymond said...

Yum! I will have to try this out. Will ground turkey hold together well enough?

-Bridget said...

Jen, I'm not sure how I come up with some of my stuff. A lot of it is just influence from watching a lot of cooking shows, I'm sure.

Kelly, the turkey will definitely not hold quite as well as the ground beef, but it will still work just fine. It will just be a tad messier when you dish it out.

Joanna said...

I tried this last night, and it is very yummy. Well worth giving a try.

Anonymous said...

Oh this sounds like something my kids will LOVE. Convincing the hubby is another story. I'm going to try it, thank you. My mom came up with some weird dishes with hamburger. The one thing I won't feed my kids is hamburger in white cream sauce (mushroom soup)over bread...ewwww! I still give my mom a bad time about that one. When we were really broke it was corn beef lunch meat, not hamburger now that was really gross.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like good comfort food to me! I'll have to try it!