Monday, July 7, 2008

What's for dinner, BBQ pulled pork



To honor Joanna's request for pork in a crockpot, I give you BBQ pulled pork. Yes, this would have been far more useful BEFORE your 4th of July BBQ, but you don't have to wait for a special day for yummy pulled pork. This recipe seriously couldn't be more simple. Even on a morning when you are running behind to get out the door you have enough time to start this.

This is going to make a lot of pork, so I'll give you ideas for two different meals from it.

Time:
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: About 6-8 hours on low depending on size of roast and cuts (sorry Joanna,
I don't know that you can make it to 10 hours. Get a crockpot with a timer!)


Ingredients:
  • * 1 boston butt roast (about 4-6 lb roast)
  • * 1 jar BBQ sauce
  • * optional: onions, garlic

Directions:

  • * Add one boston butt roast (Which is really a pig shoulder, not a butt. Go figure.) to your crockpot. Go ahead and slice it into two or three pieces if you need to in order to get it in your crockpot. Don't cut the pieces too small or it will be done way ahead of time (Unless that is what you want. In that case, go for it.).
  • * Dump 3/4 jar of BBQ sauce on top (you'll use the rest later)
  • * Optional: dump about 1/2 bag frozen onion and a tablespoon or two of garlic.
  • * Cook on low until the meat falls apart, usually anywhere between 6-8 hours.
  • * Take it out and use two forks to shred it.
  • * Add the remainder of the BBQ sauce to the pork.

Note about BBQ sauce: It can be ANY BBQ sauce. My favorite is whatever happened to be BOGO at my local Publix. I will often use more than just 1 bottle of BBQ sauce. I sometimes use the entire bottle in the cooking and then use up to 1/2 bottle to mix in afterwards.

Meal idea 1, All American BBQ:
  • * BBQ pork sandwiches (go crazy, add a little coleslaw directly on the sandwich)
  • * Baked beans
  • * Potato salad

Meal idea 2, Go Cuban:
(the BBQ Cuban wraps are entirely my creation, click below for the recipe)

8 comments:

scargosun said...

YUM! That looks incredibly good.

Jill said...

This is one of my husbands most favorite dishes to make with the slow cooker. I always like new recipes for this - thanks for sharing!

Joanna said...

Bridget - Sounds very yummy. Thank you! I really like the cuban wrap idea too. This will be on next week's list. I know I need a crock pot with a timer. I need more appliance parking space in my kitchen.

LauraC said...

We do this exact recipe with chicken instead of pork!

M said...

Drooling over here. I love me some pulled pork, and the cuban wraps look delish!

AJ @ A Little Bit Nutty said...

I know what we are having this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

McLeodx5 said...

okay...DELISH!!!!!!!!!!! i love your blog. you have the best ideas...the best recipes...the best writing style!

Jen said...

I just made this for dinner tonight and I am here to report and it is AWESOME! It was so easy to make and very moist and tender. I can't wait to try to Cuban Wraps now.