Monday, June 9, 2008

What's for dinner, intro

What's the deal?
I've decided to start posting recipes from time to time. I thought it would be nice for the girls to have a record of recipes that they used to eat growing up so they can cook them later in life. It will also give me an incentive to get back on track to doing the meal planning, sale shopping, and daily cooking that I used to do. When I came back from maternity leave, all of those things fell by the wayside. We've mostly eaten frozen entrees or eaten out for the last few months and we are all tired of it. I think if Bill sees one more Stouffer's lasagna come out of the microwave he's going to go on a hunger strike.

How are you going to do it?
This is going to be a challenge for me because I don't actually follow recipes, I never make anything the same way twice, and I don't measure stuff (which is why you'll probably never see a baking recipe here, I stink at it). I'm thinking those are probably prerequisites to be a chef; good thing I'm not one.

I like to think I am good at cooking, regardless. I figure some osmosis has occurred with my hundreds of hours of watching every Alton Brown Good Eats DVD ever recorded. I have quite a few recipes that others might enjoy if I discipline myself to measure and record things as I go. So, as I cook something for my family, I'll be writing it down to share with you. I'll expect you to let me know if you cooked it and let me know how it turned out and if you changed anything to make it better.

Don't worry. I'll post the recipes after the family ate it and liked it. I won't post anything that was a science experiment gone arwy. Uh, forget I said that. That never happens here. (Why am I grinning like a cheshire cat?)

Wat'cha cookin?
As far as what I cook, let me remind you I work full time and have two little ones. So simplicity has become a priority. Bill and I love to cook big, elaborate recipes but these days those are saved for weekends or special occassions. I like the ease of one dish meals like crockpots and casseroles. I take shortcuts when I can so I use things like precut frozen veggies to save time where possible. I cook just about any ethnicity of food because I enjoy variety and want to expose the girls to lots of different types of foods. I cook anything from southern comfort food to gourmet foods that seem complicated (but aren't) that are sure to impress company.

Do you do requests?
To make things a little more interesting and interactive, I will take requests for recipes. Want a good recipe for deviled eggs? Tired of cooking pork chops the exact same way every week? Just leave me a comment on any post with of what type of recipe you are looking for. If I don't already have a recipe for it, I'll add it to my weekly meal plan and work out a recipe during the week. That gives me the added bonus of adding cool new recipes I may not have otherwise thought to try so I really hope you guys take advantage of the special request. I love a challenge!

What's in a name?
Now, I just need a clever little name to identify all of my cooking posts so I can categorize them one day. Anyone have any suggestions for my cooking blog segment?

9 comments:

LauraC said...

You could also do a second blog, if that would make it easier. I don't think you were reading my blog last year, but my friend Lori and I did a "100 Things in 100 Days" challenge where we had a separate blog and chronicled out attempts to complete a list of 100 to-do items in 100 days.

I deleted that blog. That was a dumb decision.

Karla said...

Wow, I think that is such a cool idea. I can't wait to try some of your recipes and read the different types of food/meals your family is going to try.

Janet said...

This is a great idea. I really look forward to your posts because I have been longing for new and interesting recipes lately! I love to cook, but I always do the same things over and over. Good luck!

deebo47 said...

Hi there, first time I've read your blog. I love the idea of adding recipes - how about starting with things you can cook in 30 minutes or meals that only take five ingredients? Something easy when you've got little ones running around.

Anonymous said...

LOL! I love Alton Brown as well, but I just don't have time for his recipes at the moment. I can't wait until Michael is old enough to cook...or at least be in the kitchen and not get burnt.

I have a request. A pork recipe for the crock pot that doesn't have onions and can cook on low for 10 hours.

For a name, not very original, but what about Bridget's Good Eats? to honor Alton?

Mountain Mom said...

What a great idea! I love it! I love to cook, too, although we have a different challenge, since Tyler is allergic to so many things that are just in everything. I'm only working PT, so it's not as hard for me to put something together everyday, but I am looking for easy, quick meal ideas for my Dearest, since he will be making dinner twice a week him. :)now, and I want something else besides cereal or pancakes from

Oh, and I *heart* Alton Brown! :)

admin said...

Thanks Bridget for stopping by my blog Single Mom Living. I would love recipes for foods that do not require a lot of time or ingredients, but still taste good and are good for you. Let me know when you decide the name and what day you are featuring your recipes and I will feature it on my blog as your recipe day.
Take care,
Tracey

-Bridget said...

I'm so glad this is spurring some interest! I love the suggestions, I'll use them.

Joanna, I've got you covered for crock pot pork. Thanks for making a request!

Finding Normal said...

I love real recipes! Bring 'em on!