Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Bailey grows up

Bailey has had a few firsts over the last month. She's now 5.5 months old and she's catching up and growing up like crazy. The little peanut is still in the 10th percentile in size, but that's to be expected when you decide to make your entrance into the world six weeks early. She's becoming more baby and less infant. I've got to tell you, I'm not really shedding any tears over that development. Some people like that newborn stage. I'm not sure what they like about the sleep deprivation, the constant crying, changing 20 diapers a day, feeding every three hours, and doing 15 loads of laundry a week. But that's just me.

So here are our signs that our little Bailey is growing up...

First time in a high chair.
Yeah, we had to have the massively padded high chair cover to keep her in there; but she was there, alert, and excited to be a big girl in the high chair. She sat in it through the entire meal, grinning at everyone that walked by. Let me tell you, when you go to IHOP on Senior's night, that's a lot of grins to give out. Here's her picture of the event.




Got her ears pierced.
We pierced Reagan's ears at 4.5 months, just after her second set of shots. We did the same thing with Bailey. They both have matching little flower earrings now. She cried when I held her head. She didn't cry for the piercing. She was grinning ear to ear as soon as I let go of her. Here's her picture of the event.


And no, it doesn't stop people from calling her a boy. Bailey will be dressed from head to toe in pink, sporting her earrings, and a giant daisy stuck on the top of her head. And yet people will still say, "Oh, what a cute little boy, how old is he?"

I ask you, what self respecting parent that loves their child would dress their BOY like this?


Or this?

And now you are asking yourself, "what self respecting parent that loves their child would dress ANY baby like that?" Yeah, you've got a point. Moving on.


First solids
We tried cereal about a month back. We've moved on to veggies. She had her first taste of squash yesterday. To say she enjoyed it was an understatement. She would flap her arms and dive towards the spoon like a little birdie going for a worm. She ate 3/4 of the container before she petered out. I'd say she was ready for solids. Hopefully it will keep some food in her belly at night so that mommy and daddy keep to their beds more at night. We'll see. I can't wait until she's sleeping through the night.

Where's her picture of the event? *Gasp!* I don't have one. I've taken over 6,000 pictures in the last year and I made a conscious decision not to film her first feeding of solids. I thought about it. Then I remembered my last 2+ years on BBC (mommy board) and the 4001 pictures I've seen of messy face kids. I've decided that all pictures of messy face kids look exactly alike and somewhere around pic 3998 it stopped being amusing to me.

So I'll spare you pictures of Bailey covered from head to toe in squash. There was an added benefit to me not taking pictures. My camera stayed squash free. Nothing says, "My camera is headed for the repair shop" like a camera covered in squash from the onslaught of impending raspberries and sneezes that can only occur at the precise moment that you loaded her with more squash. She did manage to cover Reagan in squash. Is it wrong to say I was amused and felt slightly vindicated after Reagan's behavior over the last few days? *Chu-chunk* What's that sound you hear? That's the sound of me adding 20 more bucks to her therapy fund bucket for when she reads that sentence as a tween and tells me I ruined her whole life. Don't worry. There's plenty of money there already. She'll have a good therapist when she reads this blog one day.

Bailey slept through the night.
Ok, that wasn't really a first. A girl can dream, can't she?

20 comments:

Tiffany said...

This is such a great post. Those outfits are too cute. Just wanted to say how hysterical I thought your comment about Lula's tampon post was... re-decorating.. you are so funny. Can't wait until you are featured on SITS.. you are going to end up with some new fans. For sure.

Fullerton Family said...

First of all: Bailey's 5.5 months old?! The heck?! Where'd the time go???? Second: She is adorable! I love her eyes, so pretty! Third: I enjoy the baby stage so much more than infant.... I NEED my sleep! Oh, and I love both of Bailey's outfits~ too cute!

Joanna said...

I'm also having trouble believing that Bailey is 5.5 months old. Weren't you just posting potential baby names?

I would have loved to see Bailey's first squash pictures. You have such a good eye that I'm sure they would have been great. However, I can understand about giving your poor camera a break from the sqaush spray

Elisa @ Globetrotting in Heels said...

congratulations on sleeping through the night Bailey! Now be a darling and keep that little trend up :-)

Insane Mama said...

Oh, my god... How adorable
Did you take the photos?

Janet said...

I cannot believe she is already 5.5 months! I swear it seems as if you just had her! I totally cracked up at your boy/girl comments. I don't know why people don't catch a clue from the screaming pink and girly things that I put on my baby either. Sheesh!

Deanna said...

Awesome post, Bridget! I love the recap. And I totally agree...that newborn is cute for about 5 minutes and then I'm done. I love the outfits, too!

Deanna said...

Dang it! I need to edit my comment. The NEWBORN isn't cute for only 5 minutes...the newborn STAGE is cute for about 5 minutes. The baby is always cute...it's just the stage. Oh dear...I'm digging a hole. I love babies!

Cristie said...

Bailey is sooooo gorgeous. Love the pictures.

American Girl in Japan said...

Lord God is she the cutest thing EVER!!
Those pics are adorable.

KatBouska said...

I'm with you. I hate the brand new baby age. They're cute and all, but it's so stressful. That whole first year is tough!!

Heather said...

Yeah, the whole newborn thing is way overrated. They're sweet and all until the reflux sets in. Ugh.

She is so stinkin' cute in those outfits, though. The hat with the big pink flower is to die for. I LOVE IT!!

Heidi O said...

So I thought I would add a comment. I enjoy your blog, the sense of humor and hopefully your girls will have at least an ounce of that as they grow up. Bailey's a cutie and it really is hard to believe that she is so big now.

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh at the comment about people thinking Bailey is a boy even when she's dressed head to toe pink with earrings and hairbows and everything. I think it's funny because we went through the SAME thing with Zoey. I mean, we got her ears pierced @ 3 months and would put a dress on her and pigtails in her hair and we still got, "How old is your son?"

I can't believe Bailey is almost six months old already! She's such a cutie!

Tinabean said...

Oh my your girls are so cute!!
I'm loving your blog came by way of SITS I'll fro sure be back.

Finding Normal said...

I am in love with those outfits!

Melanie Dickens said...

Great post. I'm with you, I was not fond of the newborn stage. I love the shirt with her name on it, that is just genius!

Anonymous said...

What a cutie!

I have to agree with you that people calling babies the opposite sex is annoying. I dressed my son in all blue and stopped short of putting a shirt on him that said "I have a penis!" and people still said what a beautiful little girl I had.

Anonymous said...

OMG she's adorable!!! And I'm with you, girl...I am not a fan of the newborn stage!! I need my baby to uh...have more personality, and uh, more sleep;) LOL

Jenny/Moravia said...

Bridget -
I read about Bailey being called a boy and I laughed. Dh asked what was so funny? I told what you had wrote and showed the picture. Then he said "What self respecting parent would dress any kid like that?" Then I scrolled down to see you write the exact same thing. I thought she was cute and would in no way confuse her for a boy. Silly men.