Friday, June 27, 2008

Reagan's favorite things, the iconic necklace

It is amazing what kids get attached to and like. Reagan knows what she likes. And what Reagan likes is this:


When we were in Iowa last week Reagan spotted this eh, pretty(?) little number within 30 seconds of entering her Great Grandma's (Gigi's) house. Now Gigi's house looks like your stereotypical Great Grandma house. There are lots of knick knacks, trinkets, and pictures to get lost in and in trouble with. But Reagan and her laser beam eyes focused in on THAT neckace. She picked it up and said, "Ooooohh, it is beautiful!" and she put it on. Gigi didn't even know what it was or where it came from, but insisted Reagan have it. Reagan wore it the rest of the day and every day since.
.
It is probably laden with lead and giving off radioactivity, but she doesn't care. But what amuses me most is what is on the necklace. Of course it's not a butterfly or a flower or a cupcake. It is a picture of Mary and and an inscription bearing, "Virgin of Carmel" and another religious picture on the back. Virgin of Carmel? I had to google the term just to find out what it was. It's too complicated to explain in a sentence (because my pea brain doesn't get it), something about a Catholic visitation of Mary in Mt. Carmel.

What two year old would decide this necklace is the bomb? The other kids talked Gigi out of cool shells, pictures, and teddy bears. Not my kid. My kid is proudly sporting a cheap lead lined necklace with the Virgin of Carmel emblazoned on it. Figures.

14 comments:

Michelle said...

That single-mindedness sounds familiar. At least if the necklace is old, it's less likely to be filled with lead, as they'd use "real" materials, right?

And now I'm off to google virgin of carmel.

Alicia said...

Hi, I'm Alicia from Momdot.com! Love your blog :)

Just wanted to let you know your blog listing is up, and we are so glad you are part of Momdot.com I do have a button that we'd love to have you put on your blog. Please email me at Momdot@live.com and I will get the button to you.

Thanks again for listing at Momdot.com and we look forward to see you around the blogesphere!

Alicia
Momdot.com Team

Rose of Sharon said...

That is just so cute! What a precious little punkin you have. She kind of remind me of me :0) when I was little. I LOVED jewelry and not little girl kind. She is showing that she has unique, cool taste!

Have a great weekend!

:0) Sharon

Anonymous said...

Grandma worked at Mt. Carmel at one time...it's at the end of Grandview Ave. where the turn around is! It's a nuns retirement home...I'm betting it came from there??

xoxo

Aunt Julie said...

Hi! I'm new to the Blogosphere, and I found your site thru another link. Interesting stuff here! I'm running a giveaway, and I'd love it if you'd stop by. http://poprs.blogspot.com/2008/06/giveaway-tuesday.html Drop in any time! :)

Janet said...

That is too funny! I have never heard of the Virgin of Carmel either. Hmm, something to look up. Kade's Great Grandmother is "Gigi" too. I love that name.

Tiffany said...

You crack me up. I totally would have gone for the necklace. But I had a weird Catholic thing.. I spent months agonizing and reading about every Saint I could before my confirmation. Ended up choosing Claire. And later ended up deciding not to be Catholic... I would have totally loved that necklace.

Geez, she spammed you too? That Veggie Mom needs to stop already....

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Isn't it funny what kids will latch on to?

Joanna said...

I really can not wait to see the fashion phases that Reagan goes through. She has already started off with some interesting twists. I'm guessing your school uniform battles will continue for years to come.

Heather said...

When I first read your post I kept thinking it said, "Virgin Camel." It was making me giggle.

Martina said...

i love Catholic medals...my daughter has quite a few herself, including a volleyball one with 'st. christopher protect us' written on it...they're beautiful! and a great visible reminder to bring prayer to our life. :)

Anonymous said...

You crack me up! My mom's house is just like that; you could steal like 14 figurines off the shelf, and she might not notice for days! That's cool that your little girl appreciated that necklace; isn't that funny?!

Jill said...

I do love that my daughter is not the only one with a penchant for "interesting" necklaces!

Mine got "misplaced"... yours still around?

Anonymous said...

Interesting post!! My grandma also gifted me a antique necklace on my anniversary.