Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Just chillin and eatin my grilled cheese, yo


Bailey is almost seven months old now. She can sit up independently for short periods and is trying really hard to hold her own bottle. She recently got her first taste of regular food that didn't go through a mesh feeder first. She was so incredibly interested in my grilled cheese and grabbing at it like crazy. So I gave her a bit, and in her toothless little way she gummed the thing to death.

Bailey just had her six month checkup. She is doing great, no problems. She even seems to have mostly outgrown her reflux. She is on track with all of her milestones (sitting, reaching, changing hands with objects, etc.). She is catching up on her stats. When she was born six weeks early she was barely on the chart. Now her head and weight is in the 25th percentile and her height shot up to 50th.

Bailey continues to be what I am convinced is the easiest baby ever. She is very laid back, is always smiling, and is very alert and observant. She only cries when she needs something. One of my first posts on my blog was about the nature versus nurture debate. It was so clear by observing the girls that people are born with very innate personalities that can be influenced, but not entirely changed. I remain convinced. Reagan continues to be a joy and is often making us laugh or impressing our socks off. Reagan is also very much a challenge in many ways. Bailey continues to take things as they come and just be happy where she is.
I'm grateful for both of my girls just they way they are and love them dearly. I often wonder what they will be like when they grow up, what kind of relationships they'll have, what career choice they'll make. It's hard to believe these little ones will grow up and have real lives on day. As challenging as these days are, they are also so sweet.
I felt a little sad putting up Bailey's preemie clothes recently, knowing that stage is behind us and she'll never be that little again. But I was also glad that she was moving into bigger clothes and moving on to bigger things. Before I know it she'll be a teen, have her first boyfriend, think I'm trying to ruin her life, and learn how to drive a car. Or so I've been told it happens that fast. Does it really?

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow, she is gorgeous!

My wee ones were really into my food when they were infants. Whatever was on my plate, they wanted to eat. Generally, I'd give it to them in one form or another, provided that it was medically appropriate.

Good luck with the girls. It sounds like you know how lucky you are!

Deanna said...

She is soooo pretty! I have two sweet boys. They do grow up so fast.

Joanna said...

I have had those very same thoughts about nature vs nuture and wondering what path Michael will take when he gets older. He's a lot like my sister in many ways, and I'm wondering if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Also, I'm sending Michael to your house for a week long crash course on how to eat real food. I've obviously failed, but maybe watchign your kids eat sushi and grilled cheese will do him some good.

Jen said...

my babies were born 6 weeks ealier too. I know what you mean about those preemie clothes, it is really a bitter sweet thing.

Anonymous said...

In the BLINK of an eye!!!

Last night I was reading my eldest daughter a bedtime story and dressing her in "heehaw" pants! Today she is writing this WONDERFUL blog and has 2 beautiful daughters of her own!!! Whoosh! There went the time...


Love you more,
Mom xoxo

Mama Mia said...

Oh how cute.....

Janet said...

What a cutie! Has it really been that long since she was born? Wow! I'm glad she is doing well. MK is only (almost) 3 months old but I have definitely seen some different personality traits in her than Kade. I look forward to seeing even more differences and similarities between the two as they grow older!