Sunday, August 24, 2008

The two year old wins in popularity votes

I have lived in the metro Atlanta area for 14 years, Bill has lived here for 20. Yet, when we go out on weekends, we rarely see people we know. Reagan, on the other hand, seems to know half of metro Atlanta.

Starting when Reagan was about six months old, I used to get this awkward scenario where I would hear, "Reagan?" and some complete stranger headed my way. I would think, Reagan is six months old. Who could Reagan possibly know? Who is Reagan talking to behind my back already? It started out as Gymboree parents and when we moved Reagan into daycare at seven months then it was teachers from other classrooms and parents of kids from all over the school. All of these people knew my daughter, recognized her in public, but had no idea who Bill or I were.

Some people really were strangers, but remembered a chance meeting with Reagan. There were multiple times when, say I had Reagan at Target one weekend and some random lady came up to talk to her and then the following weekend Bill would have her at Home Depot and that same lady would recognize Reagan. Even while with different parents, she knew that was Reagan and start talking to her. Or I would get the, "Hey! I just saw your baby when I was over at the mall." Yes, and I was there pushing her in the stroller. But I guess you didn't see me. I had my darn invisibility cloak on again. Sorry about that, it seems to be stuck on a lot these days.

It turns out, Reagan was the official non-official school greeter at the daycare. Her classroom was the first one in the school and she would stand at the door at the window and pose in her outfit of the day and wave at everyone that came by and give them big smiles and sign to them in sign language. When we moved her to her current daycare at one year old, she was so popular she became an official tour stop for perspective parents. Reagan would always come up and greet people with a hi and talk to them in signs and always had a huge mischievous grin on her face. So people got to know her, whether they had any kids in her class or not.

Reagan is now 27 months old and we still never seem to go an entire weekend without someone recognizing her. Bill and I still stand there stupidly as they talk to our two year old and only five minutes into the conversation does it occur to them that Reagan probably didn't drive herself to Target and look up at us and introduce themselves. This has now recently started with Bailey too. Oh, brother.

In other popularity news, my next door neighbor informed us that Alton Brown shops at our neighborhood grocery store and says she's seen him in there a few times. We are huge Alton Brown fans, and would love a chance run in with him one day! Based on the above, no one would notice if I was actually living in the grocery store. But I'm pretty sure people would notice if I tried to do a stakeout toting my two kids. They would give me up within hours. They know people. So for now, I guess I'm just going to have to depend on chance luck for a run in with Alton Brown. Or maybe I should just ask Reagan to hook us up, she probably already knows him.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Knowing Reagan in person makes this even funnier!! I have seen her talk away and the things she's says to people....they are amazed she is ONLY 2....going on 12? She's a sharp cookie!! A lot like her MOM!! :-)

xoxo

Jen said...

Oh I love Alton Brown too. He is great!
I have kinda the opposite problem. No one know Hayden but by then end of any trip people do. He is just so gosh darn friendly.

Michelle said...

That sounds familiar. I have a similar issue with Little Miss, although not NEARLY to that extent. It's great for you to have children with so much personaility that you know they'll always be happy and find a way to land on their feet with friends, right?

You do have to love giving up the illusion of being a person and instead just being "Reagan's mom" -- that's my favorite. So far, anyway!

Lindsay said...

I'm sure they stand out because you dress them so cutely. It's not like they're sporting Old Navy like the rest of the 0-2 set.

Anonymous said...

What a cute story! She sounds like a special little girl. I'm not too big on Alton Brown but he has taught me alot about cooking basics. Good look on your stakeout, lol!

Fullerton Family said...

That's hilarious and adorable!!

Tiffany said...

She probably does already know Alton. And, that invisibility cloak can be such a pain.. geez.

Joanna said...

I'm pretty sure why Alton shops at your local store. He wants to be able to shop without anyone noticing him. He times it so that he shops at the same time as Reagan, and that way, she draws all the attention and he can shop without having to sign autographs.

As a side note, we were in Lowes once when we saw Doug and Hilde from Trading Spaces.

Cristie said...

Too funny. Who knew Reagan was so popular but I certainly can believe it with her crazy big personality. I'm starting to get people recognizing Noah too at a few places because of his bright orange hair--he isn't easily forgotten. And while he can be shy at some places, at Publix he insists on saying Hi to every single person or object he encounters and demands that they return the greeting. In other news--I recently heard David at a party individually telling every guy there that they need to get their wife to make your pot pie recipe. I've never seen him so excited over a meal!

Mama Mia said...

B and Reagan sound SO much alike..it's the same here...AND on Frday I went out for a drink after work w/ some friends at a restaurant that my parents take B to all the time, and the Bartender was like How do I know you...and i said I am B's MOM....

Lynda said...

What a wonderful funny post. Sounds like you have a real charmer there.

Meg said...

That is familiar to me, too. A lot of people will come up to my song, Gage, and talk to him but have no clue about me. I guess my boyfriend brags more about him then he does me.

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

Little Miss Reagan is exhibiting southern belle characteristics VERY early. Good for her!!!

Anonymous said...

That is such a funny blog!! Reagan is such a little firecracker, and that's so cool about Alton Brown! I love watching him!

Kelly Deneen Raymond said...

lol. That is hilarious, but I can totally relate. I swear half of my company knows my daughter since her daycare is in our building. ha!

Maybe you can start collecting payments on her behalf since she is such a professional greeter and tour stop. :)